Friday 28 February 2014

What Do I Blog About? - Overcoming "Epic Post" Syndrome

Funny enough, this post is a result of me banging my head against the wall, saying, "What am I gonna blog about? What am I gonna blog about?"

If you're like me (and if you're a writer, then you almost definitely are), you've probably suffered from Epic Post Syndrome at one point or another.

What, exactly, is Epic Post Syndrome you might ask?

Epic Post Syndrome, or EPS if you will, is the blogger's urge to write a post that is exhaustive. You've picked your topic. You've done your reasearch. You've found your supporting arguments and you've lined up all your sources.

In essence ... it's EPIC! You've written a mini-essay. It's more than 1,500 words long, and it ties in every argument, counter-argument and side argument one could make both for and against your point.

Unfortunately ... not many people are gonna want to read it. And not only have you exhausted yourself in the process, but chances are, when it comes time for your next post you're likely going to start regretting the fact that you started your blog in the first place.

It's Epic Post Syndrome, and I tell you, I tend to fall into its clutches at the outset of almost every post I write.

The one thing we writers and bloggers have to remember is that this is the age of information. It's available at the click of a button. For crying out loud we can surf on our phones no mater where we are. And when we do surf, we find that everyone and their brother is blogging.

Despite what so many how-to blog posts tell you, it's not about finding that thing that makes your blog stand out. I'm sorry to say, but that's a myth. It's about picking one thing to talk about, and then making your post short enough, and succinct enough, that whoever is reading can scan it and get the gist.

Love it or hate it, that's what blogging is today.

So the next time you feel that Epic Post Syndrome creeping up on you, nip it in the bud. You don't need to write that iron-clad essay.

Aim small, write small, and do it often. That's the way to keep your readers reading, and yourself enthusiastic about blogging.






2 comments:

  1. I think you nailed it. I post installments of my serial on my blog, occassionally posts about other things, but it's *always* the shorter posts that get hit the most! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, ganymeder. Yeah, the shorter posts are definitely the way to go. Not only do they attract more attention, but they probably save our sanity as well! : )

    Cheers,
    V.

    ReplyDelete